Recipe by Dawn
A recipe from Pappadeaux's restaurants. This is no ordinary dip (see Miller's explanation on dip)It's Cajun Oysters Rockefeller married with cheesy seafood spinach dip, served on garlic toasts.
Top Review by Chef Cutey
This recipe was a good one! However, the only thing is with the shrimp stock, it gave it a more shrimpy taste. Now the original Fondeaux @ PAPPAS doesnâ€™t have that shrmpy/flavor, so what I think this recipe is missing is a little lemon juice. I put some over my portion before eating & that shrimpy taste was gone it actually fused all the flavors and made it more so like the ideal flavor seeking. So maybe add 2 tbs of lemon juice to the recipe. I also added some other cheeses like Parme, Mozzer, Colby as well as the Monterey. I made it twice, on the second go round I also added another tbs. of flour it was thicker but next time I will do 4. Plus we ate it with fetti noodles, thatâ€™s why the thickness is so important. All in all this was a GREAT! replica of PAPPAS Fondeaux, as all the other recipes I get here.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 onion (chopped)
- 1 cup shrimp stock (see note on how to make shrimp stock) or 1 cup water (see note on how to make shrimp stock)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
Oyster and Shrimp
- 4 shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 4 oysters
- blackening seasoning (to taste)
- melted butter, to saute
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 4 mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 ounces crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 4 -5 ounces monterey jack cheese (grated)
- garlic bread, for dipping
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare sauce and set aside.
- Sauce: Melt butter in a sauce pan, and whisk in flour and chopped onion.
- Cook over medium heat until onion is tender.
- Slowly stir in stock and wine, whisk until smooth.
- Add cayenne pepper and salt.
- Simmer 10 minutes, then add whipping cream.
- Simmer 5 more minutes and set aside.
- *note*to prepare shrimp stock, boil 1 cup of shrimp shells in 4 cups of water.
- Boil for 30 minutes* Oyster and Shrimp preparation: Season shrimp and oysters with blackening seasoning.
- Melt butter in sauté pan and sauté shrimp and oysters for about 2 minutes per side.
- Add spinach, mushrooms, crab, and green onions.
- Sauté until vegetables are tender.
- Fold in sauce and simmer.
- Pour into a heat proof dish and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place under broiler until cheese melts.
- Serve with garlic bread as dippers.