I made Dark Tuscan Bread (Pane Toscano Scuro) Dark Tuscan Bread (Pane Toscano Scuro) , and I needed a recipe to use up the stale bits. I made this soup and it was lovely and such a handy way to use up stale bread! Just thinking about it is making my mouth water. You can use any bread you like, but a tuscan bread is the best.
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil and crushed garlic.
- When the garlic flavors infuse oil, add the red pepper flakes being careful not to burn them.
- Add the whole can of tomatoes into the pot, then using a spatula cut the tomatoes into chunks.
- Add salt and ground black pepper, to taste.
- (Remember, bread chunks will be added to this so make it a bit saltier then you would like it to be.)
- Add water and stir.
- With your hands, pull the bread into bite-sized chunks, then add them to the pot.
- "Toss" (do not stir) bread chunks in to the soup.
- Add basil leaves.
- Serve hot and enjoy!