Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Jamie's Italy - I always add a tablespoon or two of pesto.
- 500 g ripe cherry tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 large bunch basil leaves (leaves picked, stalks finely chopped)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (400 g) cans plum tomatoes
- 500 g stale bread
- Preheat oven to 180C/350°F.
- Prick cherry tomatoes, toss with one sliced clove of garlic and a quarter of the basil leaves.
- Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, put in a roasting tray and cook for 20 minutes.
- Heat more olive oil in a large pot, add remaining garlic and basil stalks, stir and gently fry for a minute until softened.
- Add tinned tomatoes, fill tin with water, add that.
- Break tomatoes up with spoon, boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Tear the bread into thumb sized pieces and add to pot, mix well, season to taste.
- Tear in the basil leaves and let soup sit on low heat for ten minutes.
- Remove roasted romatoes from tray and pour them into soup with their juices, basil, and oil from the tray.
- Stir soup, it should be a thick, silky, porridge-like texture (adjust with water if necessary.
- Remove from heat, add 6-7 tbsp olive oil.
- Serve with a little extra basil torn over the top.