Recipe by evelyn/athens
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
Delicious! Eggplant is one of my favorite vegetables, so I love trying out new recipes for it. I scaled the recipe down to 5 eggplants as 12 would have been to much for DH and myself. I pretty much made as directed only I added in some Parmesan cheese into the ground beef, I use half and half cream in place of milk for a more creamy sauce, and also used my own tomato sauce that I keep in the freezer, this was just delicious Evelyn, thanks you for another wonderful recipe!...Kitten:)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- chopped parsley
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated kefalotiri (Parmesan will do nicely too)
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 12 Japanese eggplants, approximately (long and thin)
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 little more grated kefalotiri or 1 parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce (I make up batches when tomatoes are ripe and freeze in 1 cup servings. Just tomatoes, oregano, basil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown onions and meat lightly in butter, stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cook covered for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add parsley, egg, 1/4 cup cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Wash and dry eggplant.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan.
- Cook slowly, over medium heat about 6 eggplant at a time (covered) until soft and light brown, turning occasionally and carefully.
- Remove carefully from pan with spatula and place in baking pan.
- Make a slit along length each eggplant with a sharp knife blade; spread apart enough to make a 'pocket' and stuff with meat mixture.
- Prepare one cup of bechamel sauce.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan and whisk in flour.
- cook for a minute and slowly add milk, whisking all the while.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes and add 1 egg and remaining cheese.
- Pour about a tablespoon on top of each eggplant.
- Sprinkle with additional grated cheese and dot with butter.
- If desired, add tomato sauce to the pan.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350F) for about 40 minutes until piping hot.
- Very good at room temperature too.