Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A light and airy sponge cake.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 60 g cake flour
- 15 g cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 75 g sugar
- 50 g butter, melted
- 50 ml skim milk
- LineΦ 5 x 8 cm paper cups with 19 x 19 cm parchment or silicon papers.
- DO NOT grease the papers.
- Preheat oven at 190 degC.
- Sift flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Add egg yolks, castor sugar, melted butter and milk to the dry ingredients.
- Use a hand whisk to mix until just combined.
- Set aside.
- In a separately mixing bowl, whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Use a large spatula to fold 1/3 of egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Fold gently to not deflate the egg whites.
- Transfer mixture in (4) to the remaining 2/3 of egg whites.
- Fold gently.
- Fill each paper cups to about 80% full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or when skewer inserted into centre of cakes comes out clean.
- Remove sponge cakes from paper cups.
- Let cool on wire rack.