Sydney Mike's Note:
This recipe is from the 1995 publication, The Simply Healthy Lowfat Cookbook. Preparation time includes neither the time needed for the yogurt to strain nor the time for the finished pie to chill.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups nonfat yogurt, plain
- 4 ounces gingersnaps (about 17)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons tangerine zest, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup tangerine juice concentrate, frozen, thawed
- 1 3/4 cups papayas, peeled, chopped
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, well drained
- 1Spoon the yogurt into a large strainer lined with cheesecloth or white paper towels over a bowl, & allow to drain, loosely covered, in the refrigerator, until the yogurt has reduced to about 1 3/4 cups & is the consistency of soft cream cheese.
- 2In a food processor, process the gingersnaps to fine crumbs, then add the melted butter & process briefly to combine.
- 3Press the crumb mixture into the bottom & up the sides of an 8-inch pie pan.
- 4In a medium bowl, beat together the yogurt cheese & the sour cream until smooth, then beat in the sugar, tangerine zest & vanilla & set aside.
- 5In a small saucepan, sprinkle the gelatin over the tangerine juice concentrate, then warm the mixture over low heat, stirring just until the gelatin is dissolved, before removing from the heat.
- 6Beat the gelatin mixture into the yogurt cheese mixture.
- 7Stir 1 1/2 cups of the papaya into the yogurt cheese mixture, then pour the filling into the prepared crust, before refrigerating for 6 hours or overnight so the the filling is set.
- 8Just before serving, top the pie with the Mandarin oranges (in a tight circle around the edge & 8-10 in a tight circle in the middle, then sprinkle the remaining chopped papaya over the pie,.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Papaya Tangerine Cheese Pie
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.2
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 12.8 mg
- Sodium 174.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 22.1 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: