Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are a tasty and quick addition to a casual lunch, perfect for friends sitting around and chatting and eating together! Make sure to have plenty of moist napkins nearby. ;)
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh Thai basil or 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 pickled jalapeno pepper, minced (or less, to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar, to taste
- 1 small papaya, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 lb cooked and shelled small baby shrimp
- fish sauce, to taste
- 24 butter lettuce leaves
- In a non-reactive bowl, mix together the lime juice, balsamic vinegar, basil or cilantro, green onion, garlic, jalapeno, and brown sugar.
- Stir in the cubed papaya and shrimp, then the fish sauce to taste.
- Pour into shallow dish and surround with the butter lettuce leaves.
- Use the lettuce leaves to scoop up the papaya mixture and hold to eat.
- Good additions are cooked bean threads, thinly sliced cucumber, julienned carrot, or perhaps bean sprouts.
This was delicious. It's just like a Vietnamese sandwich wrap without the high calories of the rice flour crepe. I cooked my shrimp in a teaspoon of olive oil and at the end added the onion, basil/cilantro, and I chose mango instead of papaya. Drizzle the liquid gold plus fish sauce on and ENJOY!
Fabulous! I also mixed ahead to let flavors come together. Used romaine since buter lettuce is scarce and pricey out here in the islands. So crisp, light & refreshing.
How could this recipe been missed since 2002 - It is wonderful. Refreshing and tasty. I served it as an appetizer. Made it in the AM to be served at 3PM - I wanted the Cilantro & flavors to meld Thanks for posting a definite do again recipe Julesong! Added note It is so good you can serve this as a salad with the lettuce under it - It was wonderful after letting it sit all day in thefridge