Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from week eleven of my food blog, Travel by Stove. I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and Antigua and Barbuda is my eleventh stop. This pie is made with papayas and egg whites and has a mousse-like texture.
- 1 medium pie shell
- 3 ripe papayas (the riper the better)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 dash orange extract
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 egg whites
- Peel the papayas and remove the seeds. Roughly mash them.
- Add the lime juice, the lime zest, the cinnamon and the orange extract. Mix well.
- Fold in the flour and sugar. At this point, you might want to taste the mixture and adjust the ingredients according to how sweet you like it.
- Beat the eggs until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the papaya mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until the filling is set and slightly brown on top.
- Serve chilled.