Recipe by ellie_
For World Tour II - Asia (Fiji). I think this sounds wonderful for summer desserts. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (December 1984)
Top Review by Chef Kate
I adore no-bake fruit recipes for the summer and now I have another to add to my list. This is really easy and looks beautiful and tastes even better than it looks. Thanks, ellie!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs papayas, peeled, halved and seeded
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 6 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons port wine
- whipped cream, garnish
- chocolate curls, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice enough papaya to measure 1/2 cup and set aside. Cut the remainder into one-inch pieces. Puree in a food processer or blender.
- In a saucepan over low heat cook the sugar and water until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and boil until mixture registers 230-degrees F on a candy thermometer (thread stage) (3 minutes). Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl beat egg yolks and then add syrup in a thin stream, beating until mixture is cooled, and triple in volume (5 minutes).
- Fold in papaya puree.
- In a seperate bowl with clean beaters beat cream (1 1/4 cups) to firm peaks and then fold in diced papaya.
- Divide mixture among 8 pafait or wine glasses. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Top with whipped cream and chocolate curls, if desired.