Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great gift bread as well as a family favorite.
Make and share this Papaya Bread I recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spray 2 loaf pans with non-stick baking/shortening spray and set aside.
- Place eggs, oil and sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Mix on slow speed one or two minutes to combine ingredients.
- Add carrots, fresh papaya puree, applesauce and nuts.
- Mix one to two minutes until well-mixed.
- Add flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking soda to mixture.
- Beat on medium speed one and a half to two minutes.
- Do not overbeat or end-product will become cake-like.
- Pour into 2 loaf pans, bake 55-60 minutes.
- Bread will appear pulled away from sides of pan and will be light brown in color.
- A crack will appear on the top of each loaf.
- Remove from oven, place on cooling racks.
- Let bread rest in pan for 10 minutes.
- Turn in each loaf and place on end in pan to cool.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Wrap each loaf with plastic.
- It's particularly pretty to use colored plastic wrap or other decorative wrap if giving Papaya Bread as a gift.
- This bread freezes well.
This is a very special bread for me - it involves alot of work, but when it's baked and you have a bite, it's wow wow wow! I was lucky to have homemade applesauce on hand(I used recipe number 12802). I didn't have nutmeg so I used cinnamon in place of that. I don't get macadamia nuts easily here, so I used walnuts that I had in plenty. I made the second loaf the next day, wrapped it in beautiful red-green wrap, bow n all, and put a little toy Santa in the centre, my Santa had a cake in his hand and the lady I gifted this to, was totally all oohs and aahs when she got this gift!). I had refrigerated the batter and so it was in perfect condition the next day. The first bread I baked for an hour in my AMC Dutch oven, but, I got a few remarks like - it is not baked perfectly, so, my second loaf, I baked for 1 hour 50 minutes. That was just awesome! I loved it and so did my family. Thank you so much for answering my request for a papaya bread, and not just "a" papaya bread, it should be called, "The world's best papaya loaf"! Endless world of thank you's to you for sharing this mouth watering yummy loaf. Thanks!
I found that the finished item was a bit heavy and lacked a distinctive flavor as the papaya was overwhelmed by the applesauce and spices. Had I not had an over-abundent papaya crop I would have not tried this recipe and would not recommend it to anyone that has to purchase papaya.
This bread saved me! I had a ton of papaya left from a school project and nothing to do with it! This bread is super yummy (my boyfriend said that it tasted like zuccini bread, although I've never had it) and super moist. I used walnuts, due to the high cost of macadamia nuts. Mmm...so good! This bread got me through my exams with flying colors! I loved it!