Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great Salad, let the dressing sit in the fridge for and hour or 2
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 ripe papaya
- 1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons papaya seeds
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar or 1⁄2 cup tarragon vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Wash and dry lettuc, tear into bite sized pieces place in a salad bowl or platter.
- Halve and peel Papaya. Scoop out seeds and save 2tbsp. Slice Papaya. Combine dressing ingredients in a blender untill papaya seeds have the appearance of ground pepper. Store dressing in fridge for an hour or 2.
- Just before serving add papaya avocado and red onion slices to lettuce. Pour dressing over salad and toss.(you will probably have dsg left over).
Very interesting mix of flavors. Scaled recipe way down for 2 but used the whole avocado. Added a couple of fresh sliced strawberries for color and flavor. Cut dressing in half (lots more for another green salad). Soaked red onion in water, vinegar, and salt to "tame" the hot taste. The papaya and strawberries with the traditional salad green made a real interesting taste that my wife has already asked me to make again. The dressing was very interesting. I used the minimum amount of sugar which was plenty. The black specs made it look like it was full of pepper but of course it contained no pepper. My wife wants me to start saving papaya seeds and freezing them so I can make this dressing whenever or whatever kind of salad (she likes it so much). Definitely a "make again" recipe. Jim in So Calif
This is really lovely and the colours are beautiful