Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe was in an Around the World cookbook I have. Posted for the Africa region of Zaar World Tour 2006. Cook time is chilling time.
- 2 large ripe mangoes
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 8 dried apricots, halved
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice or 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 ripe papaya
- Take one thick slice from the mango and, while still on the skin, slash the flesh with a sharp knife in a criss-cross pattern to make cubes.
- Turn the piece of mango inside-out and cut away the cubed flesh from the skin.
- Place in a bowl, mash with a fork to a pulp, and then add the cream and mix together well. Spoon into a freezer container and freeze for about 1-1 1/2 hours, or until half frozen.
- Meanwhile, put the apricots and orange juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer gently until the apricots are soft, adding a little more juice or water if necessary, so that the apricots remain moist. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Chop or dice the remaining mangoes and place in a bowl.
- Cut the papaya in half, remove the seeds and peel. Dice the flesh and add to the mango.
- Pour the apricot sauce over the fruit and gently toss to coat.
- Stir the half-frozen mango cream a few times until spoonable, but not soft.
- Serve the fruit topped with the mango cream.
Honestly, I had reservations about making this dish but I needed to use some mangos and papaya quickly and Kim127 hasn't let me down yet. I'm so glad that I did try it! Not only was it easy to prepare it was a scrumptious dessert. I added plantain and used unsulphured, unsweetened apricots and threw on a few cashews just because I was in South Africa! :) ZWT4 with the Babes traipsing around Africa.
Great and very tasty! Love the combination of fruit in this recipe - some of my favs. It made a really yummy treat. Made for ZWT4 for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.
Great, great mix of flavors with this dessert! Definitely used the OJ in the apricot sauce, & that, along with the mango cream, made for a wonderful taste treat! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hit Wonders cooking game]