This recipe is from Mozambique, Africa! It is an unusual, but delicious dessert. Looks so pretty and orange! Adapted from Afri Chef. Cook time is estimated, I have not made this yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add the papaya, lemon or lime juice and water to electric blender and blend on high for about 45 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula. Repeat the blending process until the mixture is a smooth puree.
- 2Using the back of a spoon, rub the puree through a fine sieve into a 2 quart stainless steel pan.
- 3Add the sugar, mixing well to ensure even distribution. Add the cloves and cinnamon stick. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- 4Cook until a few drops of the mixture immediately form coarse threads when dropped from a spoon into cold water. (The mixture needs to be stirred regularly, until this point is reached.)
- 5Remove the pan from the heat and using a slotted spoon remove the cloves and cinnamon stick. Discard the cloves and cinnamon stick.
- 6Using a whisk, beat the egg yolks vigorously, in a deep heat proof bowl, for about a minute, until the yolks thicken slightly.
- 7Pour the hot syrup into the egg yolks in a thin stream, beating constantly and vigorously. Continue to beat the mixture until it is smooth and thick. It should be a deep bright yellow in color.
- 8The mixture should be divided into 4 individual heat proof dessert dishes and left to cool to room temperature. The dessert will continue to thicken while it cools.
- 9The dish should be served immediately when it reaches room temperature, or it may be completely chilled in a refrigerator before serving.
- 10The lemon/lime zest may be sprinkled on top of the dessert before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Papaya and Egg Yolk Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.0
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 236.0 mg
- Sodium 13.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 113.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 104.5 g
- Protein 4.1 g