Recipe by Shastaw2006
My Papa makes this seafood gumbo almost every year for Christmas, and it is amazing. I keep losing my paper recipe, so this is mostly here for safekeeping. This makes a lot, so make room in the freezer. Also, measurements are approximated... we don't measure so guessing measurements was difficult!
- 236.59 ml canola oil
- 473.18 ml flour
- 2 medium onions
- 4-5 stick celery
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 2838.75 ml white wine
- 453.59-907.18 g polska kielbasa or 453.59-907.18 g other link sausage, cut into bite sized pieces
- 118.29 ml Worcestershire sauce, approximately
- 14.79 ml cayenne pepper
- 9.85 ml pepper
- 29.58 ml cajun seasoning
- 9.85 ml Tabasco sauce or 9.85 ml hot sauce
- 2 (907.18 g) bag frozen cut okra
- 10 (2267.96 g) can oysters
- 1360.77 g shrimp, 21/30 count raw, peeled
- 1133.98 g imitation crabmeat
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a roe with the oil and flour in a skillet. Add more of either flour or oil as necessary. It should be a medium dark brown, and a thin syrup. You should have approximately 3 cups of roe when finished.
- Add celery, garlic and onions to the roe and cook until translucent. Pour this into a very large 20 gallon stock pot.
- Add white wine, and approximately 1 gallon water. Add more as necessary, this is hard to measure but it should be about 2/3 water and 1/3 wine.
- In your original skillet, brown the sausage. Add this to the pot.
- Add seasonings to taste.
- Boil for 1-2 hours on medium high. When it starts to smell good, you know you are starting to get there. Start tasting at this point and add more seasonings as necessary.
- Add okra and oysters.
- Let cook for another 40 minutes or so.
- Add shrimp and crab.
- Let cook until shrimp is pink.
- Serve over white rice.