Prep 0 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My Papa makes this seafood gumbo almost every year for Christmas, and it is amazing. I keep losing my paper recipe, so this is mostly here for safekeeping. This makes a lot, so make room in the freezer. Also, measurements are approximated... we don't measure so guessing measurements was difficult!
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups flour
- 2 medium onions
- 4 -5 sticks celery
- 5 -6 garlic cloves
- 3⁄4 gallon white wine
- 1 -2 lb polska kielbasa or 1 -2 lb other link sausage, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce, approximately
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce or 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 (16 ounce) bags frozen cut okra
- 10 (8 ounce) cans oysters
- 3 lbs shrimp, 21/30 count raw, peeled
- 2 1⁄2 lbs imitation crabmeat
- Make a roe with the oil and flour in a skillet. Add more of either flour or oil as necessary. It should be a medium dark brown, and a thin syrup. You should have approximately 3 cups of roe when finished.
- Add celery, garlic and onions to the roe and cook until translucent. Pour this into a very large 20 gallon stock pot.
- Add white wine, and approximately 1 gallon water. Add more as necessary, this is hard to measure but it should be about 2/3 water and 1/3 wine.
- In your original skillet, brown the sausage. Add this to the pot.
- Add seasonings to taste.
- Boil for 1-2 hours on medium high. When it starts to smell good, you know you are starting to get there. Start tasting at this point and add more seasonings as necessary.
- Add okra and oysters.
- Let cook for another 40 minutes or so.
- Add shrimp and crab.
- Let cook until shrimp is pink.
- Serve over white rice.