Recipe by Chocolatl
"Papas" is the word for "potatoes" in Quechua, the language of the Incas. Potatoes, which originated in Peru, are one of the most important foods to come from the New World. This casserole was inspired by the cuisine of Peru. Please note: this is not a recipe for sauce served over pasta.
Top Review by FloridaNative
AWESOME! At first I thought this was a bit labor-intensive with roasting the potatoes, but at the end, when we ate the dish, I could see the reasoning. The potatoes were crispy and delicious, and the rest of the mixture went wonderfully with them, without making the potatoes mushy. I did not use the mushrooms as I can't eat them, but I personally did not miss them. DH said it would be great with the mushrooms, so next time I make this I will have to make two different casseroles - one with/one without the mushrooms LOL. This is a winner - we all loved it, and had about 2 servings left when we were done with dinner. Thanks for posting this recipe - made for DINING ON A DOLLAR, November 2010!
- 2 lbs red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried onion, minced-divided
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cilantro (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Peel potatoes (optional) and cut into wedges or large chunks.
- Rinse well to remove surface starch.
- Place potatoes and 1 tablespoon dried minced onions in a large bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and mix well to coat.
- Spread potato mixture evenly in a 9"x13" baking pan, in a single layer if possible.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large skillet.
- Add garlic, jalapeno and remaining minced onions and cook, stirring, until garlic softens and onions are lightly colored, about 3 minutes.
- Add meat, oregano, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, until meat is browned, breaking up large chunks with a spoon.
- Add beans and mushrooms, and cook 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce and cook, stirring, until heated, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in one-third of the cheese and cook just until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- When potatoes are browned and cooked through, remove from oven.
- Spoon meat mixture over potatoes and top with remaining cheese.
- Return to oven and cook until cheese is melted and bubbly, 5-10 minutes.
- Please note: this not a recipe for sauce served over pasta.