Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
When we visited Costa Rica, I had these potatoes and fell in love with them. I have tried many many recipes but none was ever what I was looking for. These are the closests that I have gotten. They are not as good as Costa Rica's (of course) but they are still so good.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 anaheim chili
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 16 ounces velvetta mexican cheese
- Roast jalapeno pepper & anaheim chili pepper on a grill pan on the stove. place peppers on the grill until they begin to blister, then turn them over. When blistered on both sides, remove from grill.
- Allow peppers to cool until you can work with them with your hands. Peel peppers, remove seeds, and puree.
- While peppers are roasting, peel potatoes, cut in small water, and boil until fork tender (12-15 minutes).
- When potatoes are done, drain.
- Put potatoes back in pot and add the butter.
- Mash butter into potatoes with either a hand held masher or an immersion blender.
- Add the sour cream, pureed peppers, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Melt the Velvetta Mexican Cheese in the microwave and then add to potatoes.
- Mix all the ingredients together. You can add more salt, pepper, garlic, or hot pepper based on your tastes!