Recipe by lazyme
These potatoes are lovely with salmon and a green salad, and are also delicious dipped in applesauce. From myrecipes.com.
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or 1 cup cracker crumb
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes in salted water until very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Drain off water and mash.
- Cool in fridge for about 10 minutes, or until they are cool enough to handle.
- Add salt, pepper and half of the parmesan cheese, mixing until just combined.
- Roll mixture into balls about 1 inch in diameter.
- Set on wax paper or a cookie sheet.
- Separate yolks from 3 eggs.
- Set yolks into a separate bowl, and whisk.
- In another bowl combine bread crumbs with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Dip potato balls into the egg yolk, rolling to coat, then roll in bread crumb mixture. This works best if you devote one hand to the wet rolling, and the other hand to the dry crumbs.
- Continue until all potatoes balls are coated with egg and crumbs.
- Pour the oil into a small heavy bottomed pot and heat over medium heat until oil begins to ripple and reaches about 300 degrees.
- Cook potato balls, a few at a time, removing them to a paper towel when they’re golden brown.
- As oil continues to heat, you will need to gradually turn heat down to prevent potato balls from cooking too rapidly.
- Makes about 30 balls.