Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great side of potatoes, excellent with grilled or roasted meat or seafood. A Colombian favorite.
- 6 medium red potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 lb queso blanco, crumbled
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Boil the whole potatoes in lightly salted water for about twenty minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat and saute the onion and tomato, stirring often, for about 15 minutes or until the onion is very soft.
- Season with paprika and pepper.
- Remove from heat; add cheese, stir well.
- Halve the potatoes and serve with the onion/cheese sauce.
Follow recipe and add some cumin to bring the colombian true flavor of this sauce.
We really enjoy this potato dish, in part, I realize, because I like my potatoes unpeeled! Did cut the recipe in half & used 2 roma tomatoes & about 2/3 of the onion! Don't think I've every worked with queso blanco, & thought it added a nice, subtle taste to this dish! [Made & reviewed while touring South & Central America on Zaar's World Tour 4]
This was a different way to serve potatoes, I used my own queso blanco so it was really fresh. I think next time I might add some herbs or spices to this, I did use smoked paprika but the taste wasn't as full on flavoursome as I thought it would be (but don't get me wrong, this is still a lovely recipe). Thanks Kate, made for ZWT4