When I worked for L.A. County in Canoga Park, I used to visit Fina Estampa Peruvian restaurant weekly. Their lunch special included an appetizer (usually this dish), an entree and a drink for about $7 bucks. I have been trying to mimic their Papas for 6 years! I think I have finally found it! I had to send away for the aji, but if you have a Latin market, you should be able to find it. This makes 2 batches of sauce, use one now, save one for later, or if you are feeding a crowd, double the potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 russet potatoes, peeled boiled, and sliced
- 4 eggs, hard boiled
- 255.14 g queso ranchero (or queso casero or feta cheese)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 340.19 g can evaporated milk
- 29.58 ml peruvian yellow chili paste (aji amarillo paste-very spicy!)
- 14.79-29.58 ml olive oil
- 5-8 water crackers
- 1For the papas:.
- 2Assemble lettuce leaves on a nice plate or platter.
- 3Lay potato slices on top, trying to keep the round discs intact.
- 4For the salsa Huancaina:.
- 5In a blender container or food processor, place cheese, garlic, evaporated milk and aji paste, blend until smooth.
- 6Add 2 yolks of the hard boiled eggs, and a few water crackers.
- 7While blender is running, drizzle in 1 T of oil.
- 8Check consistency.
- 9It should be about the consistency of thin cake batter.
- 10If it needs more thickening, add more crackers and oil.
- 11Check seasoning, if you are using feta cheese, it might not need salt, you can also add a bit more aji if you like it spicy.
- 12To serve, pour sauce over potatoes and lettuce.
- 13Garnish with remaining 2 hard boiled eggs, cut in wedges and black olives.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Papas a La Huancaina
Serving Size: 1 (526 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 467.1
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 236.1 mg
- Sodium 184.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 18.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: