Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Great Seafood Gumbo
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can lump crabmeat
- 2 lbs fresh shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup shallot (minced)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 4 cups water
- 1 pint oyster (optional)
- 1 lb catfish (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried celery flakes
- 2 cups okra (sliced)
- prepare onions, garlic, and okra using food processor to finely chop.
- use cast iron skillet for best roux.
- saute flour in oil until golden brown.
- add onions and garlic, continue sauteing until onions are tender and light golden in color. (For dark roux, continue to brown, be careful not to burn roux).
- add water and all seasonings except gumbo file.
- bring to a rolling boil, reduce heat and let cook for about 40 minutes.
- add crab meat and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- add shrimp, oysters, and fish. cook for 30 minutes.
- when done, add 1 tbsp gumbo file to the pot.
- server over steaming rice. season to taste.