Recipe by sistabarista1
This recipe is a staple at every family get together. My Dad has been making it as long as I can remember. It can be served room temperature, or I like it chilled and topped with whipped cream or if you're in a devilish mood....vanilla ice cream! Don't get too hung up on the measurements...it is a very forgiving recipe that allows for some variables depending on taste. ENJOY!
- 1 unbaked deep dish 9-inch pie shell (store bought or home made..you decide)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt salt
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 -4 medium sweet potatoes (I use red yams for the beautiful color)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel, pare and then boil potatoes in a covered pot with a dash of salt in the water for about 15 minutes or until soft.
- Mash and blend with and electric mixer. (Remove "strings" by repeatedly rinsing the blades of your mixer under water until a smooth texture is achieved -- this may take several times).
- Combine both sugars, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves, and vanilla with sweet potatoes, mix until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings per your taste.
- After sweet potatoes have cooled, beat eggs in seperate bowl and add to sweet potato mix.
- Add evaporated milk.
- Pour into pie shell. (depending on size of sweet potatoes, you may have enough filling for 2 pies!).
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, or chill before serving. Enjoy topped with whipped cream.