Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is a staple at every family get together. My Dad has been making it as long as I can remember. It can be served room temperature, or I like it chilled and topped with whipped cream or if you're in a devilish mood....vanilla ice cream! Don't get too hung up on the measurements...it is a very forgiving recipe that allows for some variables depending on taste. ENJOY!
- 1 unbaked deep dish 9-inch pie shell (store bought or home made..you decide)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt salt
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 -4 medium sweet potatoes (I use red yams for the beautiful color)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel, pare and then boil potatoes in a covered pot with a dash of salt in the water for about 15 minutes or until soft.
- Mash and blend with and electric mixer. (Remove "strings" by repeatedly rinsing the blades of your mixer under water until a smooth texture is achieved -- this may take several times).
- Combine both sugars, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves, and vanilla with sweet potatoes, mix until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings per your taste.
- After sweet potatoes have cooled, beat eggs in seperate bowl and add to sweet potato mix.
- Add evaporated milk.
- Pour into pie shell. (depending on size of sweet potatoes, you may have enough filling for 2 pies!).
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, or chill before serving. Enjoy topped with whipped cream.
Boy, your Papa has really nailed it with this pie! Absolute heavenly perfection :-) No need to search further, thanks so much!
This pie is wonderful! Sweet and rich and spicy. Your method of removing the "strings" from the sweet potatoes worked very well and my filling was smooth and creamy. I made 3 small mini pies and had just the right amount of filling for that. Thanks for sharing a great recipe! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2011
Excellent sweet potato pie. We thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely make it again and again. The ingredients were perfect as written as was the timing. Kudos to you and Dad for sharing such a great recipe. Made for PAC 2011.