Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 mins
These are delicious and kids really like 'em.
- 2 1⁄2 cups long-grain white rice
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups romano cheese
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions (you should have 8 cups cooked).
- Meanwhile make Meat Sauce: In a medium-size skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef, onion and garlic 10 minutes, stirring to break up beef, until meat is lightly browned and onion translucent.
- Stir in tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix warm rice and margarine or butter until melted.
- Stir in cheese. Mixture should be sticky.
- (Can be done up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated.) Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Using a medium-size ice-cream scoop, place leveled scoops of rice mixture on prepared cookie sheet (the recipe says you should have 24, but I only got 16, which worked fine).
- Now shape rice balls one at a time (each ball is formed of two scoops): Hold one scoopful flat side up in your left hand and make a small indentation in center with right thumb.
- Fill indentation with 2 teaspoons Meat Sauce.
- Cover with a second scoop of rice, flat side down, and press together to form a ball.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or electric deep fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl.
- Put bread crumbs on a sheet of waxed paper.
- Roll rice balls in egg whites to coat, then in bread crumbs. Fry balls 6 at a time, 2 to 3 minutes until golden. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Reheat remaining Meat Sauce and serve on the side.