1/1 Photo of Pao Doce (Portuguese Sweet Bread)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil potato until soft. Save 1/4 cup of the water the potato was boiled in and cool to lukewarm.
- 2Mash potato and measure out 1/2 cup.
- 3Add 2 Tbsp sugar and the yeast to the lukewarm potato water, stir to dissolve. Stir in mashed potato and set mixture aside to double in bulk.
- 4Scald milk, add salt and cool to lukewarm.
- 5Melt butter and cool.
- 6In large warm mixing bowl (rinse with hot water and dry before using), beat eggs.
- 7Remove 1 Tbsp of eggs to use for brushing tops of loaves.
- 8Gradually beat in sugar, then melted butter.
- 9Combine egg and yeast mixtures.
- 10Blend thoroughly.
- 11Add 1 1/3 cups of the flour and 1/4 cup milk.
- 12Beat until completely mixed.
- 13Add another 1 1/3 cups flour and beat till blended.
- 14(All ingredients should be in your dough now except for the last of the flour you will be kneading with.) Turn out the dough on floured board.
- 15Add last 1 1/3 cups flour* and knead dough till smooth and elastic, 75 to 100 times.
- 16Make a ball of dough, place in an oiled bowl, cover with damp cloth, and let rise in warm place. When double in bulk, punch down, divide dough into 2 round balls and place on 2 oiled pie pans or in oiled bread pans.
- 17Allow it to double in bulk (about 1 hour). Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 18Brush loaves with beaten eggs.
- 19Bake for 35-45 minutes or until brown and done. They may be frozen.
- 20* Additional flour may have to be added to make a soft dough.
- 21Dough should be smooth not sticky after kneading is complete. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pao Doce (Portuguese Sweet Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (1325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1733.0
- Calories from Fat 307
- Total Fat 34.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 344.2 mg
- Sodium 1505.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 314.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 89.8 g
- Protein 41.6 g