Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This makes a good picnic food. May use pita bread instead of rolls. The vegetable mix can easily be made in advance and refrigerated. The special spice pao bhaji masala adds a unique taste.
- 4 potatoes
- 1⁄2 head cauliflower
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup green peas
- 1⁄4 cup channa dal
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 12 bread rolls (or buns)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- oil, to pan-fry the rolls
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 whole red chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons pao bhaji masala (available at Indian grocery stores)
- Wash, peel, and cut the potatoes.
- Wash, trim, and chop (or grate) the cauliflower and carrots in small pieces.
- Rinse and drain dal and put in a 2-quart pot to boil in 2 cups water.
- When little cooked (after 10 minutes), add the potatoes and salt.
- Cook until the potatoes are done; mash them along with dal.
- Add the chopped (or grated) cauliflower, carrots, and green peas to the dal mix.
- Cook for another 15 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- Add water, as needed.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil on medium heat in a skillet.
- Sauté the mustard seeds in hot oil.
- Add the whole red chilies (can be removed before serving).
- Add the onions; stir until translucent.
- Add the cooked mixture.
- Cook for about 5 minutes; it should be like a wet mixture.
- Stir in red chili powder and pao bhaji masala, to taste.
- Separate the rolls.
- Toast them in a hot skillet, using little bit of oil for each roll.
- Put the prepared filling and a slice of tomato between two halves.
- Serve hot.