kusum gupta's Note:
This makes a good picnic food. May use pita bread instead of rolls. The vegetable mix can easily be made in advance and refrigerated. The special spice pao bhaji masala adds a unique taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 potatoes
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup channa dal
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 12 bread rolls (or buns)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- oil, to pan-fry the rolls
- 1Wash, peel, and cut the potatoes.
- 2Wash, trim, and chop (or grate) the cauliflower and carrots in small pieces.
- 3Rinse and drain dal and put in a 2-quart pot to boil in 2 cups water.
- 4When little cooked (after 10 minutes), add the potatoes and salt.
- 5Cook until the potatoes are done; mash them along with dal.
- 6Add the chopped (or grated) cauliflower, carrots, and green peas to the dal mix.
- 7Cook for another 15 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- 8Add water, as needed.
- 9Heat 2 tablespoons oil on medium heat in a skillet.
- 10Sauté the mustard seeds in hot oil.
- 11Add the whole red chilies (can be removed before serving).
- 12Add the onions; stir until translucent.
- 13Add the cooked mixture.
- 14Cook for about 5 minutes; it should be like a wet mixture.
- 15Stir in red chili powder and pao bhaji masala, to taste.
- 16Separate the rolls.
- 17Toast them in a hot skillet, using little bit of oil for each roll.
- 18Put the prepared filling and a slice of tomato between two halves.
- 19Serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pao Bhaji (Vegetables on Rolls)
Serving Size: 1 (2985 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.5
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 528.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 9.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: