Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 mins
Saw this on the Today Show. This is a great appetizer or meal with a salad! Enjoy!
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf
- 4 vine ripe tomatoes
- 1 loaf focaccia bread
- 12 metal skewers
- Using a sharp knife, cut foccacia bread into rectangles approximately 2x3x1 inch.
- There will be 3 rectangles per skewer.
- Cut cheese into approximately 1/2" thick slices approximately, the same size.
- Add cut tomato slices approximately 1/4" thick slices then cut directly in half again.
- To assemble skewers, stack bread, a slice of cheese, basil leaf and tomato slice, another piece of bread, another piece of cheese, basil, tomato and bread; repeat once more.
- You will have 3 slices of bread and 2 pieces of cheese with basil and tomato in between.
- Push 2 metal skewers through both sides of bread.
- Stack one on one side and one on the other, so stack is securely held together.
- Preheat grill to its highest setting.
- Brush and clean grill grid with a cloth and lightly oil grid so that skewers will get a good sear, this will allow bread and mozzarella to brown and melt at same time.
- Grill for approximately 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side until foccacia is lightly brown and cheese is melty.
- Remove from grill, place on platter and remove metal skewers.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately.