Recipe by Charmie777
This is from Cooking Light magazine. A great refreshing Italian salad. You can make the tomato mixture the day before and the toss with bread and lettuce just before serving.
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes, about 1-1/3 pounds
- 1⁄2 cup sliced red onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 loaf French bread, day old, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups torn romaine lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Add tomato, onion, basil and bacon; toss well. Set aside.
- Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on baking sheet. Lightly coat bread with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350º for 15 minutes or until toasted; cool.
- Add bread and lettuce to tomatoes; toss gently to combine.
- Serve immediately.