Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Use up your old bread wih this tomato and cheese salad
- 4 slices thick bread, day-old,either white,brown or rye
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb tomatoes, ripe,thinly sliced
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, shredded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 small lemon, juice of
- stoned and sliced black olives or capers packed in salt, to garnish
- Trim the crusts off the bread.
- Dip the bread briefly in cold water, then carefully squeeze out the excess water.
- Arrange on the bottom of a shallow salad bowl.
- Soak the onion slices in cold water for about 10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Drain and reserve.
- Layer the tomatoes, thinly sliced cheese, onion, basil seasoning well in between each layer.
- Sprinkle with oil, vinegar and lemon juice.
- Top with olives or capers, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge overnight to allow the flavour to develop.