Recipe by Stinkerbell
Panzanella is an Italian bread and tomato salad made with garlic, basil, parsley, olive oil and vinegar. While this recipe calls for toasting the bread, other variations include soaking the bread in water before tossing with the remaining ingredients.
Top Review by zaxoma
Wonderful recipe! Made it yesterday for a group of friends and it was great on a hot summer's day. I added a bit of cucumber (less than 1/2 of one), 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers and a small amount of coarsely chopped sweet onions - definite keeper!
- 1 baguette, 24 inch,preferably 2 days old
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin vegetable oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, chopped
- 2 lbs tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch basil
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, roughly chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the baguette into 1 inch cubes.
- Toast in a 350*F oven for 1 to 2 minutes, or until crisp and dry, stirring occasionally if necessary.
- Place the butter and 2 TBs of the olive oil into a 10 inch saute pan over medium low heat.
- Allow the butter to melt and add the garlic.
- Saute the garlic for 2 to 3 minutes until it is translucent, but not brown.
- Toss the cooked garlic, butter and oil with the bread cubes.
- Slice the tomatoes and place in a large bowl.
- Add the vinegar, remaining olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Layer one quarter of the basil leaves on top of one another and roll into a tight bunch.
- Thinly slice the bunch of leaves crosswise to create long strips of basil approximately 1/8 inch thick.
- Just before serving toss the bread, basil and parsley with the tomatoes.
- Adjust the seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed.