Recipe by Kaccy G.
BHG says "This colorful Tuscan salad may be the inspiration of thrifty cooks using up day-old bread, but its sheer simplicity has made it an all-time favorite. Juicy tomatoes and crisp cucumbers give it refreshing coolness."
- 3 cups day-old Italian bread, torn into bite-size pieces or cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges and separated
- 1⁄2 small cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups torn mixed greens
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl combine bread cubes, chopped tomatoes, onion, cucumber, basil, parsley, and minced garlic.
- For dressing: In a glass measure stir together vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper; spoon over salad.
- Toss gently to coat.
- Let stand for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Serve over torn greens.