Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The classic Italian salad. Adapted from Chez Pim. Serves 2-3 hungry people or 4-6 as part of a larger meal. Supermarket tomatoes just aren't worth using - if you can't get garden tomatoes, don't bother...
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 10 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 lbs ripe heirloom tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb stale crusty bread, cut in cubes
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, roughly torn
- In a small jar, combine vinegars, oil, mustard, honey, salt and pepper, and shake well.
- Cut the tomatoes into wedges in a large bowl. Pour vinaigrette over the tomatoes. Toss several times over the next 3-5 minutes.
- Put bread cubes in a large, pretty serving bowl. Drain the juices from the tomato bowl into the bread and toss gently to coat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add the now-moist bread to the tomatoes. Add basil and more pepper. Toss gently. Taste and adjust seasoning. Return to the serving bowl and drizzle with just a touch more olive oil.