The classic Italian salad. Adapted from Chez Pim. Serves 2-3 hungry people or 4-6 as part of a larger meal. Supermarket tomatoes just aren't worth using - if you can't get garden tomatoes, don't bother...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 10 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 lbs ripe heirloom tomatoes
- 1/2 lb stale crusty bread, cut in cubes
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, roughly torn
- 1In a small jar, combine vinegars, oil, mustard, honey, salt and pepper, and shake well.
- 2Cut the tomatoes into wedges in a large bowl. Pour vinaigrette over the tomatoes. Toss several times over the next 3-5 minutes.
- 3Put bread cubes in a large, pretty serving bowl. Drain the juices from the tomato bowl into the bread and toss gently to coat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- 4Add the now-moist bread to the tomatoes. Add basil and more pepper. Toss gently. Taste and adjust seasoning. Return to the serving bowl and drizzle with just a touch more olive oil.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Panzanella
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 523.9
- Calories from Fat 326
- Total Fat 36.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 377.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar