Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I try to keep my pantry well-stocked with canned and jarred goods. Although this soup is one of my favorites (bar none), the beauty of it is that it can be made with ONLY goods from my pantry shelf! If I have 1 pound of ground beef, I prefer that, but 2 cans of white chicken meat works just as well. If I have a fresh onion I use that, but if I don't, I just skip it. If I have fresh cilantro I use that, if not I use dried. Everything else is on the shelf!
- 1 lb ground beef or 2 (12 1/2 ounce) cans white chicken meat
- 1 small onion (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic (jarred)
- 8 ounces roasted red peppers (jarred)
- 15 ounces cannellini beans or 15 ounces black beans or 15 ounces great northern beans or 15 ounces pink beans, undrained
- 15 1⁄4 ounces corn, undrained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 16 ounces refried beans, any style (spicy, with chiles, etc.)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth or 14 1⁄2 ounces beef broth or 14 1⁄2 ounces vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup salsa, any style
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped or 3 tablespoons dried cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup water
- If using beef and onion, chop onion and brown both in soup pot.Add garlic.
- Chop red peppers and add with remaining ingredients.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, crushed tortilla chips or shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese.