Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe is from Allrecipes This can be made with gluten free cornbread.
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, tenderloins
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded, more to taste
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9x9-inch baking dish.
- Mix tomato sauce, water, taco seasoning mix, and chili powder together in a saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat and brown chicken tenderloins on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Pour tomato sauce mixture over the chicken, bring to a simmer, and cook over medium-low heat until chicken tenderloins are no longer pink inside, about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken to a bowl and shred; return shredded chicken to the sauce. Mix in black beans and cream cheese until thoroughly combined.
- Pour chicken mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with shredded Mexican cheese. Whisk corn bread mix, egg, and milk in a bowl, and spoon the batter over the chicken mix.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the casserole is bubbling and the corn bread topping is browned and set, about 30 minutes.
This didn't taste anything like an enchilada to my wife and me. It tasted exactly like what it was, a few things dumped together and baked. But it was nearly dinnertime and the ingredients were in the cupboard so I tried it. So, if you get home late from work and the kids are hungry, give this a try, it's quick and easy. It just might be to your taste, it just wasn't to our taste. Be sure to rinse the black beans, they're pretty salty. (I did that, so that's not why we didn't like it). Just out of curiosity, I re-heated the leftovers in the microwave a couple of days later to see if the cornbread topping became soggy. Surprise! It turned out pretty well. So your leftovers will be ok. Then I threw out the remainder.