Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
When my twins were two years old I was working evenings. They loved pasta and cheese and it was easy for my hubby to fix. But by itself it is not too healthy. I devised a series of recipes based on a box (or two) of Shells and Cheese and various cans of food. The shells and cheese called for in these recipes are the kind with the cheese sauce, not the powder kind.
- 2 (12 ounce) boxes macaroni shells and cheese (the kind with the white cheese sauce tastes best)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1 (12 ounce) can Spam, chopped
- bacon bits (optional)
- green onion, Chopped (optional)
- Prepare noodles as directed but do not add cheese yet. While noodles are cooking open cans and layer in bottom of colander (including the chopped spam).
- Dump noodles on top of other ingredients in colander. By dumping the hot water on top of the other ingredients it heats those ingredients up. Do not rinse.
- Dump all back in noodle pan and add cheese sauce mixing well. Serve immediately optionally topping with bacon bits and green onions.
I was a little unsure of how this would turn out, but I love pineapple, love mac and cheese, and like spam. So I figured I might as well give it a try. I ended up really really liking it. I made exactly as directed, except sprinkles some chopped up bacon on top rather than bacon bits and left out the green onion. Every once in a while I'd have a bite that was mostly pineapple covered in cheese and I thought, hmm...that's different lol, but the bites with the pineapple, spam and cheese were so delicious. I cut my spam into fairly large chunks...I wish I would have cut it down into smaller pieces. That way there'd be a little bit better spam to bite ratio :) Overall I really enjoyed this. Thanks so much for posting! Made for PRMR Tag.
What a great recipe, as this worked out as a nice lunch. Loved the idea of the pineapple chunks in this, as it gave it a different, but flavorful flavor. I did not include the green onions, but other than that made as posted. Made for Holiday Tag.