Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Chicken curry with noodles, a popular Burmese dish favored by 'westerners'. Please try this recipe as 'is', then make comments. This dish does need a little bit of chilli powder, if you don't like to much chilli cut it down;but not out please! It is our family favorite!!!
- 1 1⁄2 kg chicken or 1 1⁄2 kg chicken pieces
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 medium onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried shrimp paste (blachan,ngapi or other names for it)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups of thin coconut milk
- 2 cups of thick coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour (besan)
- 500 g egg noodles, to serve
- Cut chicken into serving pieces.
- Put Garlic,onion,ginger,ngapi, in blender and blend to a smooth paste; adding some of the peanut oil if paste becomes to dry.
- Heat remanding oils in a wok (or pan) and fry mixture off for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and fry for a further few minutes.
- Add chilli powder,salt and thin coconut milk and simmer gently until chicken is tender. (45 minutes - 1 hr approx). If it becomes to dry add some hot water - a little at a time.
- Take off heat and add thick coconut milk and bring the pot SLOWLY to a boil. Stir constantly to prevent curdling.
- Mix Chick pea with a little cold water to a smooth paste and add to the curry, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Cook the noodles in a pot of salted boiling water until tender around 6-8 minutes.
- Drain the noodles and place in bowls, serve the curry on top with fried garlic and peanuts as accompaniments.
Delicious. I didn't have dried shrimp paste (allergies) so i substituted 2 tsp. Knorr premium fish sauce. Also, I used chili flakes instead of chili powder. It was so good, we wouldn't stop eating. It tasted even better the next day.