Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
After I used these in Christmas goodie boxes, the requests for MORE poured in -- the fudge-like coating just melts in your mouth!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups walnuts
- Combine sugar, water and salt in 3 quart sauce pan.
- Slowly bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves.
- Boil slowly to 246 degrees Farenheit (firm ball stage) Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and walnut halves, stir until nuts are coated, then keep stirring, until the syrup crystallizes and turns "sugary". At this point they should not be sticky at all, but rather dry-looking.
- Dump out on waxed paper or foil and QUICKLY separate nuts using two forks.
- I usually have someone else work with me on this step.
- Let cool thoroughly before storing in a tightly covered container.
I was one of the lucky recipients of these wonderful treats! They are definately yummy!
These were yummy. I wasn't sure they were 'sugary' once coated, but as they cooled they had that 'sugary' look. I think next time I will pour them out on foil - they stuck somewhat to the wax paper. Once I get some more walnuts cracked I want to make some more.
These nuts turned out fantastic! Completely addictive. I followed the recipe exactly and had no problems with it. I did recruit a family member to help me separate the nuts once they were fully coated. They really set up quickly.