Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
Also spelled penuche or penuchi. A cross between fudge and divinity. Yum!
- 3 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup broken pecan pieces
- In a medium-sized heavy saucepan combine sugar, cream, and salt and cook over low heat, covered, for 3 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue cooking over low heat (do not stir) until the mixture registers 234 degrees F on candy thermometer.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in butter.
- Then cool mixture to 110 degrees F by placing pan in another pan of cold water, changing water several times until candy registers 110 degrees F.
- Beat candy until it's very smooth and creamy.
- Stir in vanilla and pecans.
- Pour into buttered pan and cut into squares when cool.