Recipe by LiisaN
My Mom used to make this as a special breakfast treat when we had company or for holidays. It is a baked pancake/custard. I like it with syrup and sausages served on the side. The Finns would often serve with jam or fruit preserves and of course coffee.
Top Review by spellbug1
Desperate for a finnish oven pancake recipe that would finally work, i turned in desperation to this site. I found pannu kakku without much difficulty and made it for my family for supper. I had a friend over and she said she had never tasted anything quite like it before. I also had the problem with the liquidy pooling and there is no reason to haveto use paper towel simply: take a large serving spoon and stir about 20 minutes through cooking. This ensures even cooking heat throughout and helps the cooked custard on the bootom to rise and allow milk mixture to cook. Hope this helps and so many thanks to Liisa N. This recipe saved me!
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs.
- Add milk, sugar, salt, vanilla and flour.
- Mix well.
- Add melted butter and mix until blended.
- This will be a thin batter.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for approx.
- 40 minutes- until custard is set and top is nicely browned.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
- Serve with warmed syrup or jam.