Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the Swedish version of hamburger steak with onions. Delicious as it is or you can add Swedish Cream Sauce (Graddsas) posted separately.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons grated onions (or 1 tsp onion powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup water
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onions and saute until tender. Add sugar, and continue to saute until they are starting to carmelize (turn brown). Remove from pan and keep warm.
- In the meantime, gently mix together the ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, milk, allspice, ginger, grated onion, salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in skillet over medium heat. Add patties and fry until brown. Flip the patties and brown the other side. Add the water, cover, and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve, topped with the onions and, if you like, the Swedish Cream Sauce, potatoes and pickles.
oh my holy cannoli. this is over the top insanely delicious!! I doubled the meat portion of the recipe, I used onion powder instead of onion, when round 1 was finished, I reserved the water (now broth) to use in round 2 as I cooked these 4 at a time in my cast iron skillet. Yes, the mixture was soft, but not unworkable. I make what we call salisbury steaks every so often but this method with the braise makes the patties so tender & wonderful. My picky one commented repeatedly on how perfect these were! I also made the Graddas sauce to go with it. I used 2 large Spanish onions. Thank you!! Made for ZWT9, Mike & the Appliance Killers. :)
Utterly delicious! I had some difficulties to shape them because they were so wet, and I ended up with four very oddly shaped patties, but the flavour makes you forget all about the looks LOL Like lazyme, I simmered them in some broth (vegetable broth because that's what I happened to have). So moist, not dry like some beef patties. Thanks for sharing!<br/>Made for Family Picks ZWT 9 for The Apron String Travelers
Yummy dinner. As others have already noted, these are pretty wet to deal with without chilling them first. I also used beet broth rather than water for simmering. Simple and good. Thanks for sharing PanNan. Made for ZWT9.