Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 250 g package firm tofu (cotton or silken)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 59.14 ml chili sauce
- 236.59 ml panko breadcrumbs
- oil (for frying)
- Open the tofu slice into cubes or slabs depending on preference; wrap in kitchen towel.
- Try to get as much water out as you can by changing the towels when they are damp. The tofu needs to be as dry as possible for this recipe.
- Coat the tofu with egg or sweet chili sauce depending on which you are using and then roll in the panko gently patting the breadcrumbs on.
- Fry until crisp and golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen towel and serve with your choice of sauce.
I really like the crunchiness the Panko crumbs gave to the tofu. One tip I read on another site is to cut your tofu then bake on a greased cookie sheet at 375 for about 15 minutes. This dries it out a bit and gives it a really nice chewy texture. That is what I did here, baked it, let it cool then dipped in the sweet chili sauce and the crumbs then fried. Yummy!
I loved it. I used beech smoked tofu and it worked deliciously. Thank you for the dip recommendation too, it worked beautifully with the crispiness. I'm not a big fan of tofu but this recipe might have changed my mind!