Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious as an appetizer or alongside a meal. Serve with cocktail sauce, lemon wedges, and tartar sauce.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- seasoning salt, to taste
- oil, for cooking
- Butterfly shrimp by cutting vertically down the back of the shrimp. Leave tails on.
- Season shrimp with salt, pepper, and seasoning salt.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry the shrimp in a skillet to 350 degrees F.
- Put panko crumbs in a shallow dish. Add seasonings to taste and mix well. Put flour in a separate shallow dish.
- Beat the eggs and water together.
- Dip the shrimp in the egg-water mixture.
- Add the shrimp to the flour. Toss to coat.
- Dip again in egg-water mixture.
- Toss shrimp in panko crumbs.
- Fry in hot oil at 350 degrees F until golden, about 3 minutes. You may have to turn the shrimp to evenly brown them.
- Drain the fried shrimp cooling racks over paper towels.
- Keep shrimp warm while frying batches of shrimp.
- Serve with lemon wedges, cocktail sauce or tartar sauce.
I was looking for a good fried shrimp recipe and was attracted to this one because it's almost exactly how I make my breaded pork chops. And, as expected these fried shrimps were so good even my DH who never liked shrimp before declared they were fantastic. Only change I made, which is just out of habit was I mixed the panko, flour and exactly 1 tsp of season salt in a container with a lid and shaked to mix. All else exactly as written. Once breading the shrimp you can refrigerate them until you are ready to fry them up. I do this with everything I bread using Panko. It seems to help the coating stay on for when you are later frying. To keep shrimp warm after frying put them the oven at 200 degrees just on some foil or whatever works for you. All reading, please try this recipe as it is fantastic and works for other things you wish to bread! Thanks Cali for posting!
This recipe is very tasty and easy. The shrimp come out crispy and flavorful. We pretty much ate them as they were ready. We like hot mustard, so I mixed some up to go with. Also served cocktail sauce. They were wonderful!
This is just what I was looking for! So easy and the shrimp came out golden brown and tasted great! I served them with some Thai Sweet Sauce and they were dancing in my tummy!