Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have not used panko before, but since I have found that it has half the fat and calories of regular bread crumbs, I will try it. Originally published by the Kansas City Star, March 19, 2008.
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sweetened coconut (optional)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark rum
- 2 tablespoons water
- Pour boiling water over raisins and allow them to plump for 10 minutes, drain thoroughly and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place egg white in shallow pie plate. Combine panko crumbs and coconut if desired in another pie plate.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Dip chicken in egg white then in crumb mixture, coating evenly.
- Place in hot skillet and saute until golden brown, turn and brown other side until fully cooked. Place chicken on platter and keep warm in oven.
- Now prepare sauce. Melt butter in small saucepan. Stir in sugar and water. Cook until mixture thickens and begins to resemble syrup. Add drained raisins to sauce along with rum. Heat through and ladle over chicken to serve.