Recipe by CharityAnn
Peas, proscuitto and apricots in a white sauce over oven 'fried' chicken breasts. A strange yet complimentary combination of flavors my family loved.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup ranch dressing mix, packet-or blend from this site
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (reduced fat okay)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (real butter)
- 1 ounce prosciutto, about 4 slices cut into ribbons
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream (fat free okay)
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, shredded (parm is a fine sub)
- 1⁄2 cup peas (I use frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place mayo in a shallow dish.
- Combine panko bread crumbs and ranch seasoning in another.
- Coat each chicken breast in the mayo then in the panko-ranch mixture.
- Place on greased baking sheet and bake 20-30 minutes until done.
- While the chicken is baking, start the sauce.
- Combine milk, half-n-half, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a 2 cup glass measuring cup, set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter over med high heat and sautee the prosciutto ribbons for one minute to bring out the flavor-use a slotted spoon remove and set aside.
- In the same pan reduce heat to medium and add flour to melted butter and whisk for 2-3 minutes.
- While stirring constantly, add the milk/half-n-half mixture. Stir until combined and it begins to thicken-about 2 or 3 minutes.
- NOTE: If the butter/flour mixture is not hot enough when you add the milk, the thickening will take much longer. If it does, you can turn the heat up slightly while continuously stirring-just be very careful if you turn up the heat, milk burns easily!
- Once it has thickened to your liking, stir in the romano cheese until completely melted.
- Add prosciutto, stir to combine.
- Taste and add more salt/pepper/garlic powder if needed.
- Chop dried apricots and add to the pot along with the frozen peas. Stir to combine.
- If the chicken is ready, give the sauce 5 minutes to defrost the peas and reconstitute the apricots. If the chicken is not finished, reduce the heat to med-low until the chicken is done.
- To serve, place one chicken breast on each plate and pour 1/2 cup sauce over the top.