1/1 Photo of Panipopo (Samoan Sweet Coconut Buns)
These delicious, soft buns are made even better with the addition of the sweet coconut sauce. They are so easy that even I made a perfect batch!!! These are usually served upside-down so the sauce ends up on the top. I got this recipe from Seta's "Panipopos' Kitchen". Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 1/4 teaspoon) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1I used a stand mixer up to step 6. The instructions here are to do by hand.
- 2Put the yeast and water in a large bowl and leave for 10 minutes.
- 3Add all the rest of the ingredients and mix to form a soft dough.
- 4Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 to 20 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- 5Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and leave to double in volume (optional step: punch down and leave to double in volume again).
- 6Punch the dough down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 7Shape the dough into 12 balls and place in an ungreased 9 by 13 baking pan. Pat down slightly (so they will sit upside down if you want to flip them to serve).
- 8Cover and leave to rise until almost doubled.
- 9while the buns are rising, preheat your oven to 190°c/375°f, and make your coconut sauce.
- 10Coconut sauce:.
- 11Combine all ingredients well.
- 12When the buns have doubled in size, pour the sauce over them.
- 13Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and the sauce is bubbling up around the edges.
- 14Let them cool at least a half hour before cutting into them.
- 15This gives the buns time to set up, and also gives the sauce a chance to thicken slightly.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Panipopo (Samoan Sweet Coconut Buns)
Serving Size: 1 (1199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.3
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 15.5 mg
- Sodium 106.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 4.3 g