1 hr 5 mins
Delicious individual slices of meatloaf panfried inside pepper rings then finished in a rich tomatoe sauce. From Cooking for Real with Sunny Anderson. I've posted the recipe as found on the website, but I usually use pork, beef and turkey, make a larger amount and need more peppers. I also zip up the sauce with some red pepper flakes as well. I have not tried the fried sage leaves yet but it is still a Great meal and even better leftovers!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 2 slices white bread, cut into cubes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage leaf, plus 6 to 8 whole leaves, for frying
- 1 few dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 few dashes hot sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Remove core and seeds from peppers.
- 3Slice into 1 inch rings and place on nonstick baking sheet. You should get about 3 rings per pepper.
- 4In a large bowl mix together beef, turkey, bread, 1/2 cup of the tomatoes, garlic, egg, onion, chopped sage, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and season with salt and pepper.
- 5Press meatloaf mixture evenly into pepper rings.
- 6In a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil. Saute meatloaf rings on both sides until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- 7Add remaining tomatoes to skillet and bake in the preheated oven until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 1-inch vegetable oil until a deep-fry thermometer reaches 325 degrees F. Drop sage leaves into oil and fry until golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 9Garnish meatloaf rings with fried sage leaves.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Panfried Meatloaf in Tricolor Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.0
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 82.8 mg
- Sodium 103.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomatoes with basil