Recipe by Queen uh Cuisine
Usually broiled or grilled, flank steak is cooked on the stove here, then topped with a garlicky rosemary and mushroom ragout. Enjoy :)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced (aprox 12 oz)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 pinch sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 200°F
- Pat steak dry. Mix together salt and pepper in a small bowl, then rub three fourths of salt mixture on both sides of steak.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté meat, turning over once, 6 to 8 minutes total for rare (depending on thickness of steak).
- Transfer to a baking pan and keep warm in oven while making ragout.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in uncleaned skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté garlic, rosemary, and red-pepper flakes, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add mushrooms and remaining salt mixture and sauté, stirring frequently and scraping up any brown bits, until mushrooms are tender but still juicy, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their juice and sugar, then simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by about two thirds, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and pour any meat juices from baking pan into mushroom ragout. Holding knife at a 45-degree angle, cut steak across the grain into thin slices. Serve topped with ragout.