Recipe by Chef Regina V. Smith
Serve these tasty little cakes with you favourite salsa. Makes four large patties to serve as a main course. Make smaller patties to serve as an appetizer course.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (about 1 2/3 cups)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small, heavy skillet cook onion, bell pepper and garlic in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring until softened. In a bowl, mash one third of the bean with a fork and stir in remaining bean, onion mixture, bread crumbs, egg coriander, salt and pepper to taste.
- Form mixture into four - 4 inch patties. (Mixture will be wet and soft.) Gently dredge the patties in cornmeal and transfer to a large plate line with plastic wrap.
- In a heavy skillet heat 1/4 inch of oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook patties in 2 batches 1 1/2 minutes on each side, transferring to paper towels to drain.
- Serve the bean cakes with salsa.