Chef Regina V. Smith's Note:
Serve these tasty little cakes with you favourite salsa. Makes four large patties to serve as a main course. Make smaller patties to serve as an appetizer course.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (about 1 2/3 cups)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1In a small, heavy skillet cook onion, bell pepper and garlic in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring until softened. In a bowl, mash one third of the bean with a fork and stir in remaining bean, onion mixture, bread crumbs, egg coriander, salt and pepper to taste.
- 2Form mixture into four - 4 inch patties. (Mixture will be wet and soft.) Gently dredge the patties in cornmeal and transfer to a large plate line with plastic wrap.
- 3In a heavy skillet heat 1/4 inch of oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook patties in 2 batches 1 1/2 minutes on each side, transferring to paper towels to drain.
- 4Serve the bean cakes with salsa.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Panfried Black Bean Coriander Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.5
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 108.2 mg
- Sodium 682.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.8 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 23.4 g