Recipe by Mille®
This hefty English dish, with its fragrant delicious layers of vegetables, was the normal dinner eaten at the farmhouse after the shepherd had killed a sheep.
- 6 large lamb chops
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 lbs potatoes, very thinly sliced
- 20 ounces good hearty chicken stock or 20 ounces turkey broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim and season the chops and bring the stock to the boil.
- Grease a large wide casserole dish with butter, lard or shortening and put in a layer of half the potatoes, then a layer of half the onions.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Repeat the layers, season again and then lay the chops on top.
- Pour in the stock, which should come about half-way up the vegetables.
- Cover the dish and bake at 350F for 2 hours.
- Check the dish periodically and add more liquid as needed.
- Skim some of the fat off the top and serve very hot.