1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Um Safia's Note:
Well this is famous Italian honey and nut cake from Tuscany. It is a Christmas specialty but these days it is eaten year round and is fantastic with a good cup of coffee! In Italy this Panfote is sold in pretty boxes and served in VERY thin slices. From the book: "The Complete Book of Italian Cooking".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces skinless split whole almonds (or blanched)
- 4 ounces hazelnuts
- 3 ounces cut mixed peel
- 2 ounces glace pineapple or 2 ounces crystallized pineapple
- 2 ounces dried apricots (no-soak kind)
- 1 large orange, zest of, finely grated
- 2 ounces plain flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 1/2-4 ounces caster sugar
- 4 ounces honey
- icing or confectioners' sugar, for decoration
- 1Toast the almonds under the grill / broiler until lightly browned; place in a bowl.
- 2Toast the hazelnuts until the skins split. Place on a dry tea towel and rub off the skins.
- 3Roughly chop the hazelnuts and add to the almonds with the mixed peel.
- 4Chop the apricots and pineapple fairly finely, add to the nuts with the orange rind; mix well.
- 5Sift the flour with the cocoa and cinnamon, add to the nut mixture and mix evenly.
- 6Line a round 8" cake tin or deep loose base flan tin with baking parchment.
- 7Put the sugar and honey into a saucepan; heat until the sugar dissolves, then boil gently for approximately 5 minutes or until mixture thickens & begins to turn a deeper shade of brown.
- 8Quickly add to the nut mixture and mix evenly. turn into the prepared tin & level the top using the back of a damp metal spoon.
- 9Cook in a preheated oven, 150°°C / 300F for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and leave in the tin until cold. Remove from the tin and carefully peel off the paper.
- 10Before serving, dredge the cake heavily with the icing sugar. Serve in very thin slices as this is an incredibly rich cake!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Panforte Di Siena - Traditional Tuscan Honey / Nut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.4
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 19.5 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of