Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Well this is famous Italian honey and nut cake from Tuscany. It is a Christmas specialty but these days it is eaten year round and is fantastic with a good cup of coffee! In Italy this Panfote is sold in pretty boxes and served in VERY thin slices. From the book: "The Complete Book of Italian Cooking".
- 4 ounces skinless split whole almonds (or blanched)
- 4 ounces hazelnuts
- 3 ounces cut mixed peel
- 2 ounces glace pineapple or 2 ounces crystallized pineapple
- 2 ounces dried apricots (no-soak kind)
- 1 large orange, zest of, finely grated
- 2 ounces plain flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 1⁄2-4 ounces caster sugar
- 4 ounces honey
- icing or confectioners' sugar, for decoration
- Toast the almonds under the grill / broiler until lightly browned; place in a bowl.
- Toast the hazelnuts until the skins split. Place on a dry tea towel and rub off the skins.
- Roughly chop the hazelnuts and add to the almonds with the mixed peel.
- Chop the apricots and pineapple fairly finely, add to the nuts with the orange rind; mix well.
- Sift the flour with the cocoa and cinnamon, add to the nut mixture and mix evenly.
- Line a round 8" cake tin or deep loose base flan tin with baking parchment.
- Put the sugar and honey into a saucepan; heat until the sugar dissolves, then boil gently for approximately 5 minutes or until mixture thickens & begins to turn a deeper shade of brown.
- Quickly add to the nut mixture and mix evenly. turn into the prepared tin & level the top using the back of a damp metal spoon.
- Cook in a preheated oven, 150°°C / 300F for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and leave in the tin until cold. Remove from the tin and carefully peel off the paper.
- Before serving, dredge the cake heavily with the icing sugar. Serve in very thin slices as this is an incredibly rich cake!